|Faction Overview||CtW Information|
|Unique Units||National Bonuses|
Russia has two capitals: Moscow, and the Urals.
Russia has three leaders:
- First in place is Josef Stalin, the initial leader.
- If the Allies (somehow) occupy Russia, a new leader is elected to replace Stalin, this being Gavril' Constantinovich Romanov.
- If Russia is occupied by a Communist Argentina or even China, the leader who takes over Stalin is Lavrenty Beria.
In the case of Fascist Argentina, Japan, Germany or Italy, Russia will not be occupied, but will be instead annexed for "Lebensraum".
The Soviet AI isn't really aggressive towards other nations, and prefers to create vassal states as opposed to destroying them completely, with the exception of two nations: Finland and the Oslo Group. It however becomes aggressive against all other nations except those which were aligned to it on two thresholds: both Spain and France become communist. In which case, the Soviets will become sufficiently emboldened enough to attack all other European nations with an eye towards occupying all of them.
At the same time, an alliance with the Soviet Union is the most profitable thing anyone can do, but nations not aligned to communism will discover that communist ideas will begin to result in unrest - this builds up first in areas with a fortification level of 1, and later on by the end of the game areas with a fortification level of 4.
In addition to controlling your initial territories,
- Outlast Nazi Germany and Italy (they must be occupied or destroyed)
- Britain must be forced to let go of India before the Atomic Era, either by destroying Britain or occupying all Indian territories.
- Control Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Eurasia, Middle East.
- Initial difficulty: Fairly easy
- Number of capitals: 2 (Moscow, Sverdlovsk)
- Number of oilfields/supply centres (Kharkov, Astana, Tashkent, Baku, Ashgabat)
- Number of armies: 7
- Allies: Republic of China
- Diplomatic personality: Unreliable, Implacable
The most powerful faction of Age of Darkness, the Soviet Union has several advantages which other nations don't have. The first is that like the USA, China, and Britain, it has more than one starting army, thanks to its two capitals at Moscow and Sverdlovsk. The second is that unlike the British or the Americans, the territory of the Soviet Union is a single contiguous mass, meaning that if armies are required, you will be able to bring them to the front fairly quickly. Finally, it doesn't have a broad front that faces many potential rivals, unlike America's exposure to Japan or Britain's exposure to Italy and Germany. Finally, the Soviet Union also is in possession of a vast amount of natural resources, especially in its eastern lands.
But then, if so, what's stopping you from conquering the world then?
The first problem is that tribute is a problem initially, where the cost to declare war is initially set at 800 tribute. Although you have vast resources, you might be forced to play a wait-and-see game. This is especially so since a lot of parts of Russia aren't very well-developed, least of all your Eurasian lands - Russia's industry is all focussed in Central Europe, centred around Leningrad, Moscow and Kharkov. There are several ways of earning tribute - either by remaining at peace for a long time, or allying with as many nations as possible. The last one is extremely lucrative as it results in the generation of lots of tribute, both for the USSR and for the nation it is allied with.
Unlike other nations, the USSR have a different progression: see the page titled Tribute for the exact formula. However, the least developed areas of your empire will begin to rebel from Turn 14 onwards if you remain in an alliance with the Soviets, so there are three ways to go about this -
- Ally early with the Soviet Union, and build up everything to a territorial strength of 2 or more at all times, especially before you attack
- Another method is to build up areas to territorial level of 3 or higher before allying.
- The third is to align yourself with Communism. France, Argentina and Iraq can choose this course of action during the Domination campaign.
Only the Iraqis, Argentina and France do not suffer from this issue as long as they are fully aligned with the Comintern. Other nations that can be aligned to the Soviets also include India, Spain, and China.
So because of the cost in tribute, most nations will end up having a wait-and-see strategy, and the Soviet Union is no exception. Try and ally with one of the nations in Europe, and accumulate as much tribute as possible from trade which can then be invested into building up your eastern territories into industrial powerhouses - the reason for this is that fortification of existing areas is costly, and your eastern frontiers are threatened by several other powers, most notably Japan and America. This also bumps up the amount of tribute available to you which should allow you to declare war on other nations and possibly vassalise them.
With tribute dealt with, how do you then go about conquering the world for the glory of the working class? well, there are several locations you should pay attention to: Ulanbaatar, Kabul, and Chishinau - these areas are not occupied by any faction, and can be easily picked off. Ulanbaatar should be paid special attention, since it sits right on China's doorstep, and also serves to extend the front with any future conflict against Japan.
Finland is the best target to pick off - although it might be supported by the Oslo Group early on, it will give you a free army as well as a springboard into Central Europe, and also removes a potential ally for either the Axis or the Allies later on. Alternatively, spy missions can be run for smaller amounts of tribute, allowing you to annex territories and influence politics without many problems.
- Acquire and upgrade as many territories as possible to increse your tribute per turn.
- The Iraqis, Argentina, India, Spain, France and China are ideal allies that can be influenced to join you.
- Form an alliance with as many European powers as possible to reduce the probability of fighting on multiple fronts.
- Conquer Ulanbaatar before the Chinese or Japanese do.
- Spy missions can be run for smaller amounts of tribute, allowing you to annex territories and influence politics without many problems.
- North Sakhalin